Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

August 17, 2006

Patriots Point~Aircraft Carrier





Our hotel was just down the street from the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier. We'd been here before when we lived in SC, but it was fun to explore it again with my Dad visiting from Florida.
http://www.patriotspoint.org/
http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/aviation/yor.htm
My Dad and my Mother were both enlisted in the Navy, which I suppose makes me a full bred 'military brat'. It was fascinating learning from my Dad about the experiences he had in the Navy and the airplanes he worked on while enlisted.
We watched a neat movie about life on an aircraft carrier, and then explored the entire ship...up...and down..and through....and over....and under.....and up and down again. I lost count of how many steep and narrow stairs and ladders we crawled up and down...all while I carried Jenna. Yikes! I was sore the next day!

We also explored the Destroyer LAFFEY, "The ship that would not die",
and the Coast Guard Cutter, INGHAM, until my legs were too tired.

And then my boys talked me into climbing down into the old rusted Cold War submarine, The CLAMAGORE, that leans to the side because it has settled into the silt of the Charleston Harbor. As an almost 6 foot tall person, who is not all that fond of hot, musty, humid, dank, confined spaces.......that experience was almost torture! And it seemed to never end.....how long is a submarine anyway??