Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

September 12, 2006

Henna Art


Henna, also known as Mehndi, is an ancient form of body art that has been practiced for thousands of years in Africa, India and the Middle East. Each country has deceloped it's own unique style of henna designs. In North Africa, bold geometric patterns are popular, while in India, ornate flowery designs are mostly chosen. Henna art is traditonally a feminine art form practices by women on women. One tradition calls for Indian brides to have their hands and feet painted with intricate designs. According to legend, the longer the henna stays on the hands and feet of the bride, the stronger the love will be between the couple.
Henna is a dye extracted from the leaves of an Old World plant of the loose-strife family, often used to tint the hair auburn.

I've always wanted to try Henna art and was thrilled to see it listed as a Fun Shop during the conference! Uniquely enough, the teenage artist's name who hostessed the Fun Shop, was Brenna. "Henna by Brenna". This funshop was very popular and I was so happy to participate.
One funny thing that happened while I was practicing on myself with my own designs, was that several new friends asked me if I would create designs on them, too!
So all of sudden I became an impromtu Henna artist! hehe

In the pictures above I am with Mindy, who has my design on her leg. And the other picture is with Sylvia, who has my artwork on her chest. Pretty cool!

I'm not so sure I was very talented, but I did my best and had a great time, too.
I tried to design something on Jenna...but even though her name rhymes with henna, too, she was not having that stuff on her skin.....maybe when she's older we can paint each other with henna.