Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

December 29, 2006

Artistic Creations~Loom Knitting

Three months ago I learned how to knit during a Live & Learn Conference Workshop and I've been knitting like crazy ever since! I just love the artistic process, the relaxing repetitiveness, and the feeling of accomplishment.

I started in November creating handmade knitted Christmas gifts for close friends and family, and even one of our wonderful neighbors. Altogether I have made 9 hats and 10 scarfs!! And even Jackson created his very own knitted hat all by himself! He's working on a scarf right now and I am finishing up on a hat for a belated Christmas gift. And then after this hat project I am going to be working on making a hand-knitted throw from a pattern a friend gave me. I'm so excited!!

Another thing that I do, because I feel that my knitted pieces are an artistic expression, and therefore, wearable art, is that I name the pattern/design or color combination with a creative name.

Most of the hats and scarfs I made this year were from this beautiful, variegated 'green-purple-cream' yarn that my Fufu sent to me from California, and I combined it with a purple furry yarn. Since it reminds me of the vibrant color of peacocks, that's the name I gave my creations.
Another yarn combo I used was this fuzzy 'light blue-tan-brown-cream' variegation. It reminded me of the earth and sky, so I named my knitted projects "Terra Sky".

As you can see I've been having way too much fun knitting. I'm always amazed that something so beautiful, and so useful can come out of a skein, tuft or ball of ordinary yarn.

The hat below was my first creation made during the workshop. It only took me about 4 hours to make. I made it using some leftover yarn that I had been planning to just let my kids play with. I'm glad I didn't! I love this fuzzy bright hat. It makes me happy wearing it. I call this piece "Copper Canyon".

The scarf below was my first and I made it extra long and wide, and I love the silkiness of it and the pattern. I bought the yarn on sale because it seemed that noone else liked the design or color of the yarn, so I snatched it up for about $1.00 a tuft! I named this creation, "Turquoise Zebra"
Here are a couple of my vibrant, richly colored "Peacock" scarfs and one of the hats. I am working on another one right now to send out by this weekend to a dear family member.

No comments: