Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

Twinville Trekker's Stamping Adventures

December 24, 2006

Posole Tradition

For my family, holiday traditions are celebrated and enjoyed, especially the ones related to our our New Mexico home.

We moved to New Mexico over 15 years ago and right away we knew it was our home. There is something about the crisp air, the vibrant sky, the smell of pinon and cedar and spicy green chile roasting at the market and farm stores here.

The contrast of desert, mesa, mountains and sky is always breathtaking and mezmerizing and causes me to stop and appreciate all the gifts this state has to offer, if only I pay attention. We truly love living here and can't imagine living anywhere else.

For the long 7 years we lived in South Carolina, we kept many of our holiday traditions, like lighting up our red chile lights, making Biscochitos, reading the story of Las Posadas, and eating Posole on Christmas Eve.

For some reason this year's Posole was the best we remember, maybe because we are finally home again? Maybe because I was able to use fresh-roasted green chile and hominy? One thing I did a little differently, is that I cooked the Posole in our crock-pot for almost 2 days. Posole is always better the day after it's made, so I figured that I'd just cook it for 2 days and it would be like it was 2 days old! haha

The hominy was so tender and all the spices, cilantro and turkey (some use pork, but my family prefers turkey) flavors all blended together in perfect and splendid harmony!
John ate 3 bowls of this Posole and Jackson even tipped his bowl to get every last drop! hehe

For us Christmas isn't the same without Posole!

No comments: